Roll the condom on when your penis is erect (hard), but BEFORE it touches your partner's mouth or genital area (vulva, vagina, anus, buttocks, and upper thighs) — and wear it the whole time you're having sex. This helps protect you from STDs that are transmitted through skin-to-skin touching. It also prevents contact with pre-ejaculate (pre-cum), which can have STD germs and may rarely contain sperm that can cause pregnancy.
- Condoms last a long time, but you should always check the expiration date printed on the wrapper or box. Open condoms carefully so you don't damage them — don't use your teeth or scissors.
- Make sure the condom's ready to roll on the right way: the rim should be on the outside so it looks like a little hat, and it will unroll easily. You can unroll it a little bit before putting it on to make sure it's right-side out. If you accidentally put a condom on inside out, do NOT flip it around and reuse it — get a new one.
- Pinch the tip of the condom and place it on the head of your penis. Leave a little bit of space at the top to collect semen (cum). If you're uncircumcised, it might be more comfortable to pull your foreskin back before placing the condom on the tip of your penis and rolling it down.
- Unroll the condom down the shaft of your penis all the way to the base.
- You can put a few drops of water-based or silicone lubricant inside the tip of the condom and/or on the outside of the condom once it's on. Have sex!
After you ejaculate (cum), hold onto the rim of the condom and pull your penis out of your partner's body. Do this BEFORE your penis goes soft, so the condom doesn't get too loose and let semen out.
- Carefully take off the condom away from your partner so you don't accidentally spill semen (cum) on them. Throw the condom away in the garbage — don't flush it down the toilet (it can clog pipes).
You can't reuse condoms. Roll on a new condom every time you have vaginal, oral, or anal sex. You should also use a new condom if you switch from one kind of sex to another (like anal to vaginal).